Some of the most common ways to make a gift to support PSU are to write a check, give a credit card number, or donate online.
A gift of cash could be right for you if:
- You want the easiest way to donate to support PSU.
- You want the largest possible tax deduction for your gift.
- You would like to make the gift to support PSU that has the greatest immediate impact.
How it works
You make a gift of cash directly to support PSU Foundation and you receive an income tax deduction.
What is an outright gift of cash?
An outright gift is any gift of cash you make in real dollars to the PSU Foundation without conditions, stipulations or additional payments owed. The most common way for donors to make an outright gift is to write a check payable to the charity.
Gift provides immediate support
Unlike some other gift arrangements, your outright gift will provide resources that PSU can put to immediate use. If you prefer to restrict our use of your gift in any way, please contact us so that we can be sure that we carry out your wishes.
This is the simplest way to make an outright gift. Just write a check payable to Portland State University Foundation. You may deduct the full amount of your donation up to 50% of your adjusted gross income. You may carry forward all unused deduction for up to five additional years. Most people when asked for a gift think of the amount available to them in their checking or savings accounts. You may also make a cash gift using your credit cards.
Susan McNeil would like to make an immediate $15,000 gift to support PSU. Susan could write a check for this amount and earn a charitable deduction equal to $15,000. Alternatively, Susan could make a gift using her credit card by calling us on the phone, responding to a mailing, or by donating online through our website. Gifts of checks and gifts made via credit cards are considered cash gifts.
- Susan may deduct up to 50% of her adjusted gross income for her gift of cash.
- If Susan cannot use the entire deduction in the year of gift, she may carry the balance forward for five additional years.
- Assuming she can use the entire deduction, Susan will earn an income tax charitable deduction of $15,000, which will save her $5,940 (39.6% tax).
- Susan will gain the satisfaction of making a $15,000 gift to support PSU.
How Your Gift Helps
The generosity of PSU donors reflects an unwavering commitment to higher education and a powerful belief in the potential within each of our students. These gifts support...